Friday, May 6, 2011

Baked Zucchini Fries with Marinara


The Mexican market around the corner from my house, which I previously mentioned in my last post, always has great prices on produce. Sometimes though, I get tricked by the great prices and overlook the not-so-awesome quality of the product. I bought a bunch of strawberries that weren't all that hot, so I made some delicious strawberry-lychee aguas frescas instead. Problem solved. 
Another great price flashed before me and then I found myself buying a huge bag full of zucchini. I love zucchini and I practically got a whole bag full for free - that's how awesomely cheap it was. This time though, the prices weren't a cover for the quality. Awesome, awesome zucchini - now what to do with it?


Zucchini fries! I had everything on hand and I felt like a snack. After trimming, slicing, dredging, and tossing into a hot oven to crisp up I was rewarded with a healthy, nom-worthy snack within all but 15 minutes. It was awesome. Normally, telling you that I ate the whole batch within one sitting would make me a bit shameful, but heck... I'll admit eating 3 zucchini within a sitting any day. I'm sure I made mothers and nutritionists proud everywhere around the world!

Baked Zucchini Fries with Marinara
Yields: 3 servings
Original recipe here.

For the zucchini:
3 medium zucchini, sliced into sticks
1 large egg white
1/3 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
2 tbsn. grated Pecorino Romano cheese
cooking spray
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt
fresh pepper

For the marinara sauce:
1 tsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, smashed
28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp. oregano
2 tbsn. chopped fresh basil
salt and fresh pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 F. In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn it. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce the heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place the breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese; shake well. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Dip the zucchini sticks into the egg and then place into the bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with some marinara sauce for dipping. 


16 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for about a year now but I've never commented. I just need to say that I LOVE it and I get so excited when I see a new post.

    I die especially when I read the travel posts. If only....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo these look lovely! & healthy too, bonus!

    any recommendations for brands of breadcrumbs? maybe i'm being a bit OCD..

    katie x
    {glass of fashion}

    ReplyDelete
  3. These fries look awesome! I can't wait to pick up some zucchini for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic and healthy, too. Lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these pictures make the dish even more delicious!!!

    ♥ Ylenia
    from longuette

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love that these are baked! i am definitely going to have to try this!

    http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so yummy, just the kid of treat I would really enjoy. I found you over at Tastespotting. I'm a new follower here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look AMAZING! definitely trying them and they might actually get my man to eat zucchini :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently made something similar with parmesan cheese and cut them like chips and not fries. I bet they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love zucchini sticks, and these are such a healthy alternative! I can't wait to start dipping!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to try some courgette (zucchini? I'm not used to saying that :p) fries. So much nicer than the potato versions, and much healthier too! And even better that they were so cheap :) Financially, healthwise... what's there not to love about courgettes? (or zucchini!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. god, you seem like just the most lovely, likeable person
    these look great and your blog always makes me feel good

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm already in love with your photos (have I said that before.) This! Right up my alley these day. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing. Love your blog and I just became your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  15. zucchini fries!

    so creative.
    you're the bomb. they look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made these tonight. They were a great hit! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete