Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Strawberry Banana Muffins

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..."
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I simply just love these muffins. First of all, they're healthy; full of whole wheat, fruit in three forms, and a bit of agave to sweeten. Second of all, this recipe is a small batch which I love because muffins I usually bake for myself and I can never finish 24 muffins before they go bad. Thirdly, they're easy as can be. And lastly, they are freaking delicious! Sweet enough, perfectly moist and full of flavor; mmm I can't get enough of 'em.

About the lime glaze, it's definitely not necessary since the muffins are perfectly sweet on their own, and quite delicious nonetheless but, I happen to just looooove the lime in the glaze. It gives the muffins a nice zing-y taste and a pop of flavor.
Strawberry Banana Muffins
Yields: 6 muffins
Each muffin is about 100 calories and less than 1 g fat.
Original recipe here.

3/4 cup chopped strawberries
2 tbsn. agave
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 banana, mashed
2 tbsn. applesauce

Optional glaze:
1 strawberry, finely chopped
1 tbsn. lime juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 6 muffin tins with paper liners, spray the paper liners with non stick spray (this MUST be done or else they stick to the liners like crazy), set aside. In a small bowl combine the chopped strawberries and agave, let sit. In the meantime, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. In another bowl combine the mashed banana, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Add the dry mixture to the banana mixture. Mix with a fork until just combined. Fold in the strawberry mixture then spoon into the muffin tin, filling to the top as they don't rise much. Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely. If glaze is desired, mix all ingredients together and drizzle on top of the muffins. Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. These look so delicious and healthy! Love the pretty red strawberries on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the strawberry glaze addition. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there
    i love your blog...
    and i just wanted to make one minor correction...
    "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."
    is Elizabeth Barrett Browning's quote.

    Don't worry. I thought it was by Shakespeare too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos! These muffins look yummy and very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I made Mango Carrot Muffins the other day, and now I'm on a muffin kick. I'll have to try these too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to let you know I made a bread based off of this recipe! It was amazingly easy and yummy! Thanks for the inspiration... check out my blog here: http://lazygirlkitchen.blogspot.com/2010/04/flavor-full-photo-full-and-recipe-full.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. These were really good. I doubled the recipe and very slightly altered it in doing so. I just posted about it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ~ Jennifer

    http://jennifersjunkylife.typepad.com/whimsical_junk/2010/05/strawberry-banana-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these this afternoon and they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete